In our new era of fast paced, convenient food, eating healthfully has become increasingly difficult. There are endless choices for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between. However, I have good news! MyPlate and the 2015 Dietary Guidelines have outlined simple things you can do to keep your eating habits in check. And remember, there are many factors that go into healthy eating and every person is different. What works for one person may not work for the next.
Save the following simple tips from MyPlate in your back pocket and you just might eat deliciously, and healthfully, ever after.
- Concentrate on variety, amount and nutrition – all food choices matter!
- Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables. Vary your choices to avoid repetition. Check out what new produce is in season and give it a try.
- Try to choose whole grains at least fifty percent of the time. Next time you are at the grocery store, give that whole grain pasta a chance!
- Choose low-fat and fat-free dairy. These lower fat options have the same awesome nutrient package with less calories.
- Try different sources of protein. Variety is the spice of life!
- Eat the right amount for you based on your sex, height, weight and activity level (do some personal research with our MyPlate Wheel).
- Portion sizes matter. Read through the Nutrition Facts label before buying and be aware of the serving size for that particular food (using the Food Model cards can be a big help in understanding portion sizes).
Using these tips as a starting point on your healthy eating journey will help you discover delicious, good-for-you foods that are easy to prepare and are readily available at your local store.
The bottom line: eating healthfully is simple, fun, and can be done by everyone. To see how to incorporate the food groups into a meal, check out this delicious recipe for Greek Chicken Wraps from the National Dairy Council.